The quintessential smells of the holidays are wafting in the air, indicating that the holiday season is on the horizon! It’s true that this holiday season will be unlike any other holiday season. However, this is the perfect time to connect with our families even more. Many of us are going to want comfort and familiarity, especially after this past year. What better way to feel comfort and familiarity than having a relaxed dinner while being in the company of loved ones? I can easily envision sharing laughter and having lighthearted conversations with my family over a warm and comforting meal. It doesn’t get more hygge than that since family, food, and fun are the central motifs in our lives.
With the holiday season on the horizon, you’re probably already planning on what entrees, side dishes, and desserts you’re going to create. When it comes to holiday cooking, casseroles are my favorite. Casseroles are effortlessly easy to make and take the hassle out of holiday cooking. Throw in your favorite ingredients and you’ll have a complete meal ready within an hour. I often rely on Kraft Heinz® to enhance some of my favorite casserole dishes.
A Creamy Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin casserole is a tried and true family favorite. This casserole dish is transformed with Kraft® Shredded Cheese as one of the key ingredients. Add that to the recipe and you’ll have the creamiest, tastiest, and cheesiest dish! Sometimes I add cream for a thicker consistency. Best of all, I can grab all of the ingredients that I need at Walmart. You can create simple yet flavorful meals with Kraft Heinz®. I love that Walmart has a wide array of Kraft Heinz® products that can give holiday dishes the right amount of flavor. Their products provide a taste of familiarity and tradition.
Creamy Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
This casserole dish is transformed with Kraft® Shredded Cheese as one of the key ingredients. Add that in the recipe and you'll have the creamiest, tastiest, and cheesiest dish!
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, outer leaves and stems removed
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of KRAFT Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray or coat a 9" x 12" casserole dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook for approx. 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Bring another large pot of water to a boil. Cook potatoes on medium heat for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- While Brussels sprouts and potatoes are boiling, prepare the sauce. Melt butter in a medium pan. Add flour on low heat, stirring constantly, until flour starts to brown a little. Add milk on low heat; stirring continually until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Add onion and ¾ cup of the cheese into the sauce. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Place diced potatoes in an even layer across the bottom of the casserole dish. Place Brussels sprouts evenly on top of potatoes. Pour the cheese sauce over potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove casserole from the oven; sprinkle the remaining cheese and ground pepper on top. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Serves 6-8 people, ½ cup servings (makes 3-4 cups total)
Click here to enter the ShareTheHolidaySweepstakes. Kraft Heinz® will be giving away daily prizes (a $100 Walmart gift card) and one Grand Prize winner will receive a trip (a $2,500 value) to visit their loved ones. In addition, you’ll receive a special gift from Walmart. Walmart will email you a link to download a free digital cookbook that is filled with holiday recipe favorites, including this recipe!