As the month of August (Device Theft Awareness Month) draws to a close end, I’m wrapping up my participation with the campaign with Absolute LoJack by providing ways you can theft-proof your laptop.
5 Ways to Theft-Proof Your Laptop
1. No matter how top notch a hotel may be, thieves comes in all forms. The worst offenders are normally the employees. Always place the “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door when you are leaving your hotel room if you’re wanting to leave your laptop or tablet behind. Although it’s less likely that anyone will come into my room after I’ve placed the sign, I take it a step further my placing my devices in my suitcase and locking it up. You can never be too careful.
2. Buy a portable combination or keyed laptop lock.
3. Use a laptop tracking software, such as Absolute LoJack, to keep tabs on your laptop’s location. This device tracking software will locate your device in the event that it goes missing, while preventing anyone from accessing your information with a device lock. It will also protect you from identity theft by deleting your personal information if you activate the deletion feature. In addition to their program, Absolute LoJack will replace your device if it isn’t recovered within 60 days. Absolute LoJack is offering an exclusive 30% off discount on a 1 year subscription of Absolute LoJack Standard or Premium with Absolute LoJack coupon code: UNCOVER30
4. Back everything up, especially pictures. I use an additional portable hard drive to store my images in case my laptop ever goes kaput, or worse: gets stolen.
5. Use a strong password, write it down, and store it somewhere safe.
Absolute | Laptop Lifeline Sweepstakes
Between now and September 12th, enter the Absolute Software Laptop Lifeline 2014 Sweepstakes to have a chance to win a Grand Prize, First Prize, or Second Prize. There will be three winners in all!
Grand Prize: $1,000, Webroot SecureAnywhere® Antivirus for PC Gamers 3 Year License, Absolute LoJack Premium 3 Year License, Plantronics GameCom Commander, SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB SSD, and Play N Trade Gunnar Glasses PPK
First Prize: $500, Absolute LoJack Premium 1 Year License, Webroot SecureAnywhere® Antivirus for PC Gamers 2 Year License, Plantronics Rig Gaming Audio System, SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD, and Play N Trade Farming Simulator (PC)
Second Prize: $250, Absolute LoJack 1 Year Standard License, Webroot SecureAnywhere® Antivirus for PC Gamers 1 Year License, Plantronics GamesComm 788, SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD, and Play N Trade Borderlands 2 (PC)
Absolute Data Protect Product Features
Connect with Absolute LoJack via Facebook, YouTube, Google+, and Twitter.
Those are great tips. I can’t believe I don’t have a laptop lock considering how often I take mine out and about with me. Add it to my weekend shopping list.
Crystal recently posted..Cinnamon Sugared Almonds
I think this sounds like something everyone should have. You just never know.
Thanks for the info. I am going to consider this.
Great tips! I definitely need to look into this more!
Thanks for all the tips! I don’t think I ever heard of a laptop lock before.
These are some really great tips. Some of these I had never thought of but will now.
Thanks for the information. I can’t hurt to have extra protection for your laptop..
These are great tips, I do most of them!
Theresa Gould @ Faith and Family Reviews recently posted..Babo Botanicals
Fantastic tips, it’s always better to have more protection than not enough.
Jenn recently posted..Let Sears Give #MoretoYou With Curbside Pickup!
Thanks for the tips and head ups – its always important to secure everything in our laptop.. so many things are in there.
Aisha Kristine Chong recently posted..Women’s #Workout Series: How To Get Slimmer Calves
Great reminders. I can definitely use a laptop lock and tracking software. Thanks for the ideas!!
Mrs. Mashed Up recently posted..Win a Loot Crate Box, again!
Another good tip is to lock your valuables in the room safe if they have them available. That seems like a great security program I will have to look in to it.
Chris B recently posted..BarkBox – Unboxing And Review August 2014
This is GREAT advice for anyone with a laptop. Especially those that take it out and about. I’ve also looked into the Prey Project and found many successful stories that utilize that program once a computer or smart device has been stolen. Just another tip!
Adrian of Adrian’s Travel Tales recently posted..Walkabout: A Different Way to Explore a City
Great advice here!
Thanks for the great info/tips. I do worry about computer security.
I don’t have a laptop, but it’s possible I will get one someday. I will make sure I keep these tips in mind.
Risa recently posted..Little K’s Incredible Journey – 8 Months Old
These a re great tips, it’s best to be safe when it comes to your laptop!
celebbabylaundry recently posted..Jennifer Lopez Takes Max & Emme to the 39th Annual Hampton Classic Horse Show
Oh wow, and I was just looking for information like this. Thank you need I look any further… nah I think you have it covered. Great job and thanks for sharing.
XmasDolly recently posted..Ozeri Savore Electric Pepper Grinder Review
Yay! I loves me some coupons! I’ve been eyeing Absolute LoJack for awhile now. Now that they’re offering a coupon, I have no reason not to invest in some protection.
Dawn recently posted..15 Delicious Paleo Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes for Fall
I didn’t know there was a LoJack for computers. I always thought it was for car theft. I will have to look into some more. Thanks for the info.
TinkJul recently posted..Bucket List Blog
Everyone seems to have a laptop, so I’m so glad these kinds of things are becoming available! Better safe than sorry (when you can be).
Rosey recently posted..THE STORY OF FROZEN: MAKING A DISNEY ANIMATED CLASSIC
I don’t keep anything worth stealing on my laptop, everything stays backed up, but this is a cool thing to get if I wanted.
Natalie recently posted..7 Must Haves For A Concert
These are all great tips. I know I should do more to protect my laptop, especially when traveling.
Angela recently posted..Spa for Ma Giveaway #Spa4Ma
great tips! i’m particularly cautious with my stuffs especially my gadgets. as much as possible i don’t leave them behind when i’m outside the house.
great tips! my laptop got everything with password and I backup everyhting whenever we travel!
Looks like a good product. I just leave my laptop in hotel room. Not a good idea.
Kathy recently posted..Pasta and Sausage Medley
I really never do anything to my laptop. Just a pass-code, but these are great tips!
Great tips. I think it will be helpful to install some software to protect all the files.